The OCNA invites Independent Publishers to join us for our annual Independent Publisher’s Retreat on Friday November 4th and Saturday November 5th at the beautiful Deerhurst Resort near Huntsville, Ontario.
This is a great opportunity to network with your peers, share experiences and learn about issues and resources that might impact your business.
Sessions will take place both Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Friday evening will include an awards dinner, recognizing some of those we have not been able to recognize over the last few years. The Retreat will finish up after lunch on Saturday.
We have a full, fun agenda that includes:
- Addressing Unwarranted Fears of Legal Risks - Brendan Hughes, LLP, of ORP Law, specializing in media law, is here to help! Journalists and publishers know that "free expression" or "free speech" are restricted by certain laws and in today’s world of social media it feels like the risks proliferate. What are the most common causes of claims and how to avoid them, mitigate risk and still say what needs to be said?
- Ontario Provincial Police - The OPP is back. Mike McDonell, Superintendent, Bill Dickson, Acting Manager of Media Relations, OPP will join us in conversation as we engage in discussions aimed at strengthening the relationship of Community Newspaper Journalists with the OPP and improving communications so news that matters reaches our communities. We will again send out a survey and share your input in advance with the OPP. Information gathered in previous surveys will be used to compare current results – have relationships with the OPP improved?
- Advertising Dollars Post-COVID - OCNA Directors Ian Dowding, Regional Director, Media Sales, Postmedia Network and Braden Simmonds, Director of Sales, Torstar Community Brands, Toronto will host an AMA session “Ask Me Anything”. Independent publishers - here’s your chance to hear from Postmedia and Metroland regarding sales and bringing back advertising dollars in a post-COVID environment. Get your questions ready! What changes were you making before COVID that have been abandoned or conversely been fast-tracked? Are you winning the battle or are advertising revenues declining year over year? What is the revenue ratio for digital and print?
- Digital First – Learning & Adapting - Heather Wright, Petrolia Lambton Independent and Louise Sproule, Vankleek Hill Review will share their experiences and insight on digital.
- News Media Canada Updates - Paul Deegan, CEO & President, News Media Canada will provide updates on national association activities, including federal funding programs, recycling, Google/Facebook, events and other issues.
- OCNA and Ad*Reach Updates.
- And as always – time for round table discussions.
Friday, November 4th
1:00PM - Sessions
6:00PM – Dinner
Saturday, November 5th
8:00AM - Breakfast
9:00AM - Sessions
12:45PM - Lunch
Registration fee includes Friday overnight accommodations, sessions and dinner, along with Saturday breakfast, sessions and lunch.
Register by Friday October 7th, 2022.
Single Occupancy $500.00
Double Occupancy $785.00
Additional room Thursday night $205.00
Additional room Saturday night $240.00
Additional guest Friday dinner $90.00
All prices subject to HST.
Note: Additional room nights are based on availability at the resort and cannot be guaranteed. If unavailable upon booking, credit will be issued.
Retreat Registration fees: Cancellations between Friday October 14th to Friday October 28th are subject to a 50% cancellation fee. No refund will be given if cancelled after Friday October 28th.
Additional Overnight Rooms. No refund will be given if cancelled after Friday October 14th.
To register, complete the form on the right. Use the toggles or type in each text box the quantity desired. Once finished filling out the form, select 'Add to Cart' and then 'Checkout' for payment options.
OCNA Member Registration
Must be an employee of an Active or Associate Member Newspaper of OCNA.